Quick Cornbread Casserole
2 Boxes Jiffy cornbread mix
2/3 cup milk
1 can Bush's Black Bean Fiesta**
1 can Del Monte Diced Tomatoes Zesty Chili Style**
1.5 lbs ground turkey
1.5 cups cheddar cheese
Paprika or Cayan pepper and Red Pepper flakes (to your taste)
**This meal can be prepared with fresh ingredients, but for the sake of saving time (and money) I used canned beans that were already combined with corn, onions, peppers and spices. I also used tomatoes already seasoned with tex-mex flavors.
(Preheat oven to 350 degrees.)
1. Drain tomatoes and set aside juice to brown meat in. Mix tomatoes and beans in a large bowl.
2. Brown turkey meat in a pan with tomato juice and any spices you prefer.
3. Combine turkey with beans and tomatoes and 1/2 cup cheddar cheese. Place in bottom of a 13x9 baking dish.
4. Prepare cornbread mix as box instructs. Pour over meat, beans, and tomato mixture. Sprinkle red pepper flakes over cornbread and the remaining 1 cup cheddar cheese.
5. Bake dish for 40 minutes at 350 degrees. Test to see a knife or toothpick comes out clean from cornbread. If not continue baking for another 5-10 minutes and test again.
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes