Monday, June 13, 2011

Baking Away the Boredom


Last night I had a case of boredom. What do I always do when I can afford it? Cook or bake, of course! However I am pretty strapped for cash right about now, so I looked around the house and realized there were some large overripe bananas just chilling on the counter that nobody was planning to eat. I'm sure you can guess what I was thinking: banana bread?

Yup.

So I made some, but I wanted to do it a little different than usual...so, I thought, 'what goes great with bananas?' And you know what I thought? 'I love fried bananas with cinnamon, so I bet I'll love banana bread with cinnamon.' And guess what? It was a fantastic idea.

Here it is:



Banana Banana (Cinnamon Monster) Walnut Bread

Ingredients

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter

3/4 cup brown sugar

2 eggs, beaten

2 1/3 cups mashed overripe bananas (I used three large overripe bananas and didn’t measure them out.)

(I added ¼ cup cinnamon, 1 tablespoon nutmeg, and 1 ½ cups walnuts, chopped.)

Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan (or five 4x2 in pans).

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl, cream together butter and brown sugar. Stir in eggs and mashed bananas until well blended. Fold in chopped nuts. Stir (or fold for a less tough dough) banana mixture into flour mixture; stir just to moisten. Finally fold in cinnamon and nutmeg (this could probably be added to the flour mixture in the first step). Pour batter into prepared loaf pan.

**Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 65 minutes (or about 45 minutes with five smaller pans), until a toothpick inserted into center of the loaf comes out clean. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack.

**You can make a brown sugar and butter glaze to coat the top of the bread after it has baked for around 40 minutes for an added crunch. Bake for the remaining 5-10 minutes with glaze. For glaze use a 2:1 ratio – butter to sugar.


No comments: