Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Assignment 3 pt. 2 The object

To be honest, photographing objects is strange and hard for me. I'm use to photographing people. So I tried to photograph objects with different lighting and from different angles but, knowing I would be assigned to manipulate a few of them to be placed on a different background, I must say I have neglected that aspect (background).

1. The Desk: Stacked Elements and Medium Close Up

Photobucket

I framed this cookie tin between a photograph and the internet wall plug. To light the cookie tin I shown a flash light at its lid and in the background had lighting from an open window shining into the room.

Photobucket

This same set up of the cookie tin was also photographed with only the natural light coming in through the window and I believe it is harder to tell that the cookie tin is the main focus, although this could be because it was taken from a slightly different angle than the other shot.

2. The Lecture Hall Chairs: Medium Long Shot

Photobucket

I framed the arm rest of the chairs between them and turned off my camera's flash. The overhead lights in the room lit up the arm rest but left the backs of the chairs dark. I like this shot because focuses on the row of arm rests instead of on the row of chairs as a normal shot of the chairs probably would.

3. Teddy Bear: Worm's Eye View

Photobucket

I left the blinds on the window open to let in light behind the stuffed animal and I think this adds to the dominence that is supposed to be felt by the worm's eye view framing in this shot. There is an added dominence also in the fact that the bear is starting to blur, which as something gets bigger and closer to our eye does not always stay in focus.


4. Teddy Bear: Bird's Eye View

Photobucket

I wish there had been more light shining on the front of this object, because it has turned out dark and almost like a silouette with the only light coming from the window behind. I like the position of the bear in this shot, as the bear seems to almost welcome the dominence of the camera over him, as if maybe he is waiting for a beloved child to pick him up.



Teddy Bear Extras

I simply like how the natural light fell on the bear in this photograph. I guess this would be a Long Shot since it shows the whole figure, although it is not taken a great distance away from the object.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I also like the lighting that was added to this shot by the natural sun coming from the window. The bear seems to be frammed by the book bags handle and a blue notebook.

Photobucket

I also experimented with the Extreme Long Shot as seen above. The bear was slightly out of focus as I pointed my camera toward the ground, showing the bear as something slightly too small and forgotten in a corner.

Photobucket

In a similar shot I used a beam of light that protrudes through two curtains behind me to try and frame the object and put a spot light on it. I then shot this same shot from a Bird's Eye View and received a harsh effect.

Photobucket

The I shot this photo below where the bear is not the focus of the light but the floor.

Photobucket

A similar shot gave the bear a shadow on one side because of a desk that was to the right as the light shone on the foreground.

Photobucket

This shot below was somewhat of a Medium Close Up from a Worm's Eye View. I like how the light is resting on his shoulder.

Photobucket

Overall I experimented more with how the natural light would hit the object than anything else. I wasn't sure how to reflect light or what to do it with. I know Krauss said to use colored, shiny papers, but I didn't know where to locate those from. The problem with the object I chose (the bear) for most of the shots was that is was hard to make it sit up straight, otherwise I probably would have taken it outside and experimented with the object in another setting.

No comments: